10/17/14

McCarren Hotel & Pool

My good friend, Melissa, was leaving NYC to head back to her LA roots after 8 long and glorious years. I've known her throughout her 20's and have been with her during the fun and challenging times. She's like a little sister to me and I'm sad that she's leaving, but happy for a new chapter in her life. To celebrate her final days, we spent a weekday getting in as much NYC culture as we possibly could before her big send off party at Calle Ocho later that day.

We started the day off by going to Barry's Bootcamp in Chelsea (near my apartment) sweating our assess off followed by cooling our assess off by heading to Williamsburg, Brooklyn to the McCarren Hotel & Pool.

By default, NYC has limited "cool" pools because there's no room for it. Unless you go to public pools, which I only go to for triathlon training purposes and wouldn't recommend it otherwise, or hotel pools, which many of them you can't actually swim in, it's hard to find a cool place to take in the sun and order poolside.

I decided on McCarren Hotel & Pool because I thought it would be fun to go to an outer borough that was easy enough to get to, and for the most part, it was. I purchased tickets online days prior (I know, the fact that I had to do this was so pretentious). We were scheduled to go from 11AM-4PM and had general seating tickets. This meant not a pool chair, but laying out on stadium like wooden flatbeds that was away from the pool. It was a little different.



While we didn't eat anything off the pool menu, we certainly did our fair share of ordering buckets of Corona lite. The food menu looked good, actually, but after spending some hours getting some sun and relaxation, we wandered around the area to find something to eat. Sadly, we couldn't find anything we liked, so we headed back to Chelsea and had sushi for a late lunch. After that, it was get ready then head to Calle Ocho. What a long day it was, but well-worth every minute to spend the day with Melissa.

McCarren Hotel & Pool,  160 N 12th Street
Brooklyn, NY
Website
McCarren Hotel & Pool

No comments:

Post a Comment