10/16/14

Home of Chicken and Waffles

While in Oakland, California for a Bar Mitzvah, we stumbled upon a restaurant near our hotel called Home of Chicken and Waffles. I'm glad we did because, well, I love fried chicken and I love waffles! The only dilemma was having to eat at this place mid-afternoon right before the Bar Mitzvah dinner party on a boat. I knew if I filled up on chicken and waffles there's no way I'd be hungry for dinner, so we went inside the restaurant and ordered take-out.

The restaurant was very kitschy and retro. I really liked the lighting fixtures and the 50's diner feel. It was welcoming and not at all pretentious. The staff was really friendly too.


Upon entering, the hostess greeted us and I quickly asked if I can order take-out, so she handed us a few menus to look over, and after putting in our order, she didn't realize (or didn't care) we handed her back only one. I had a bag with me from a purchase I made earlier and I quickly shoved the menu in there as soon as no one was paying attention to us. I was quite happy to collect this menu because somehow I knew the food was going to be delicious.

I'm not quite sure if there's a right or wrong way to eat chicken and waffles. Are you supposed to cut pieces of chicken and place them on the waffle then drizzle syrup on it and eat it or just grab a bite of the chicken then take a bite of the waffle? Or finish the entire chicken pieces first then follow it up with the waffles? I was a little confused about the art, but definitely not confused about the science, and OMG it was delicious. The chicken was juicy, tender and full of flavor. I'm thinking about it right now as I'm writing this post and I'm wishing I had another plate in front of me. It is that good.


Home of Chicken and Waffles, 444 Embarcadero W
Oakland, CA
Website
Home of Chicken & Waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment