10/16/14

Happy 1 year Anniversary Menus from Cannes, France

It has come full circle. My very first menu featured last year was from my trip to Cannes, France, in 2013, and how fitting that I should celebrate my one year anniversary by blogging about my new menus from this year's trip to Cannes. Yup, I was invited once again to go to Cannes and I was able to collect several menus.

While I was a little disappointed that we didn't take a side trip (I desperately wanted to go to Saint- Tropez), I still had fun exploring new sites of Cannes, attending parties and late night eats. I felt a little more comfortable this time around walking by myself and running around town.

Upon searching for an empty shopping bag in the house to transport goods purchased from Carrefour market, I came across this interesting Japanese menu in the drawer. I believe the restaurant is called Sushi Shop and it's a chain restaurant in France judging from the website info. The pictures are vibrant and colorful and I can tell this menu must cost a lot to produce. While I did not get the chance to eat here this time around, perhaps I'll give it a go next time. Well, that's if I get invited back a 3rd time.

Sushi Shop, 11 Rue Helene Vagliano
Cannes, France
Website
Sushi Shop
The first menu I collected was from the world renown Interncontinental Carlton Cannes. We stopped by the Carlton Restaurant to make a future reservation and was told that this year they were not serving food on the balcony that overlooks La Croisette, which was unfortunate. This is definitely the place to see and be seen by all and where I met Jack Black last year. However, you could still sit, network, have drinks but no food. As we headed back on to the street, I spotted a bar menu on a side table and grabbed it quickly and shoved it into my bag. No one seemed to notice. And yes, look at those champagne prices. Cha-ching!

Carlton Bar, 58 La Croisette
Cannes, France
Website
Carlton Bar
The second menu I collected was from Astoux & Brun, a famous seafood restaurant that is always bustling and busy. Since there were 5 of us dining, and as I mentioned before, it's always easiest to collect the menu with a big group. Once I ordered, I put the menu in my bag and that was that! I made sure this time around in Cannes that I would carry a small bag with me for this reason and also to carry my camera around to take pictures. It worked out well. I ordered the classic sole meuniere, which came as a whole fish lightly fried in butter with rice and a lemon. The dish was light, simple and delicious.


Astoux & Brun, 7 Rue Felix Faure and Louis Blanc
Cannes, France
Website
Astoux & Brun
The final menu came from our scheduled reservation at the Carlton Restaurant. We were seated at a round table that could seat 10 people, but there were only 5 of us. The spacing between each of us was pretty significant and we had to talk loudly because of that. I managed to get the menu into my bag with no problem as the table cloth draped so far off the table covering my lap so I put the menu on my lap then slid it into my bag which was near my foot. The table cloth pretty much hid the whole transaction.

For dinner, I had the fish and risotto on the side. The dishes here are super fancy and expensive and is presented very well. I can tell they take pride in how they present their dishes. Well, honestly, I feel like most of the restaurants in Cannes take great pride in presenting their dishes. The dessert was OK. The taste was good, but it wasn't quite what I wanted.



Carlton Restaurant, 58 La Croisette
Cannes, France
Website
Carlton Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment