2/23/14

Obleas Con Cajeta (Milk Candy Wafers)

Earlier this year, my niece that resides in San Diego, came up to Palm Springs to visit us with her family while we were on vacation. It was a nice beginning of the year vacation to get away from the cold and nasty weather we've been having this winter. She brought with her a ton of Filipino goodies and local treats that we don't necessarily have available to us in NYC. One such treat was this amazing Mexican milk candy wafer Obleas Con Cajeta made by Aldama.


Upon taking my first bite, I fell in love. The thin layer of dulce surrounded by a thin film of white wafer is light in weight and compact, but definitely packs a punch in volume and taste. Yes, it is very sweet and the carmel is just enough so that it's not too strong and takes over.

When we arrived back in NYC after our lovely and warm beginning of year vacation, my niece mailed us more Aldama and another brand for comparison, but Aldama is definitely my favorite brand. The other one I did not care for as much. She also included this marzipan treat that reminded me of Halva, a Middle-Eastern dessert and Polvoron, a Filipino dessert. It's basically the same thing but the Mexican version of it, I suppose. It's basically flour and white that is in powder form and very brittle that when you bite it it breaks apart quite easily. It's very delicate that sometimes it can be annoying to eat it if it's not handled or transported carefully.



I'm very happy to have a favorite new candy that I decided to go on Google to see if I can find it local, but I still haven't come across a local store through my online research. I'm sure if I go to Jackson Heights in Queens or somewhere with a strong Mexican community in NYC I'll find it, but for now I can shop online or have my niece mail me more. Thanks, Sarah!! Oh, and they even have it in bigger sizes too. Twice the greatness!

Lastly, here are some pics of the house we stayed at Villa Fontana in the Movie Colony section of Palm Springs. It is a 3-bdrm house with a beautiful exterior and interior, but the back of the house is really where it's at. We definitely enjoyed it and booked it through Oranj Palm Vacation Homes. There were a few glitches, but we would probably stay at this property again unless we buy our own.







Obleas Con Cajeta via Amazon: Website

No comments:

Post a Comment