10/6/15

A Trifecta of San Francisco Menus: Zarzuela, Hakkasan & Nopa

This was my second trip to San Francisco (first trip was in March) and I've decided that I really like San Fran. The weather was a bit too cool for me in June because it's usually nice and warm in NYC by this time, but apparently, it's cool all year round in San Fran, and that is where I would get annoyed. I like having seasons and I especially like my summers HOT!

I came back to San Francisco to do the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon that is a bucket list triathlon for most triathletes. It's a 1.5 mile swim in the bay, 18 mile hilly bike ride followed by an 8 mile run. You can qualify for this race, but usually the easiest way to get in is through lottery, which I was able to. It's not an easy race to get into as they only select about 2,000 entries. It's also not an easy race to complete either! It took me 3:38:37.



While here, I was able to dine at so many fantastic places with so many great friends. Before the triathlon, I met up with my friend, Susan, who I attended Columbia University with and who is from the Bay Area. She took me to Zarzuela, a Spanish tapas restaurant, and according to her it's always hard to get in because they take no reservations and it's always booked. Thankfully, we went on a weeknight so we were able to get seated right away, but it was still full.

After we ordered, I hung on to the menu because I figured since it's tapas, it's always great to come back to the menu to see if we want more. After all was said and done, I slipped the menu into my jacket on my backside. Luckily, we were sitting in a corner table so my back was facing a wall and away from everyone. The rest of the night was pretty much a blur, but a fun blur!



 


Zarzuela, 2000 Hyde St.
Russian Hill, San Francisco, CA
Zarzuela
During the trip, my good friend, Melissa, from Los Angeles came up to San Fran to support me throughout the whole weekend. Since Mark couldn't be with me because he was working and traveling, Melissa decided she would come up and enjoy the weekend with me and help with whatever I needed. I was so thankful she was here. Gracias, amiga.


She and I did a lot of sight-seeing, walking, eating, and more walking and a few Uber rides when our legs couldn't carry us any longer. Our post triathlon celebration took us to lunch at Hakkasan, a shi-shi Chinese restaurant. Alas, following the race, all I could do was rest and sleep the entire night into the next day because I felt really crappy and sick, so post celebration had to wait until the following day.

I brought my bag with me to the restaurant because I had my jacket with me in case I got cold, but I'm glad I did because I was able to stuff the menus in my bag while the staff were not looking. The drink menu is really extensive for an Asian restaurant and I loved all the different types of Asian inspired cocktails. The food was extremely delicious and presented very well.






Hakkasan, 1 Kearny St.
San Francisco, CA
Website
Hakkasan
Other restaurants of interest that Melissa and I went to and all of them were very good, but I wasn't able to collect the menu, but rather took a picture of them. Yes to all! And all are in San Fran, obvi.



Alioto's, #8 Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA Website
Bacon Bacon Truck, 2828 Jones St., Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA Website
Frascati, 1901 Hyde St., San Francisco, CA Website
Kitchen Story, 3499 16th St., San Francisco, CA Website

The last menu I collected was from Nopa. The day before my departure I saw my good friend Mena, who lives in San Fran, and we spent the afternoon catching up and drinking through the day then eventually ending up at Nopa for a hearty meal. Honestly, if it wasn't for the pictures I took of the food, I wouldn't have remembered what I ordered. And thanks to Mena, I didn't even have to be sly about collecting the menu. She simply asked the waiter if I could have it because I was visiting and thought it would make a good souvenir and he said, 'yes!' Easy peasy.

A few things I like about this menu: the raised lettering of their name and the font they use on the menu. It's a very simple yet classy menu with no splashy graphics printed on quality paper. It's a shame that they rubber stamp the date. I suppose they could print it on there, but it would be both time consuming and costly.





Nopa, 560 Divisadero St.
San Francisco, CA
Nopa

No comments:

Post a Comment