8/1/13

M-Thai

I feel like a judas for writing a post about M-Thai before Spice Thai. For many New Yorkers, Spice is a Thai institution that is familiar, inexpensive, good tasting, authentic (for Americans) and is slowly expanding into many NYC neighborhoods including Queens and Brooklyn. The first time I had Spice I fell in love. It's the kind of place you take out-of-town guests to if they've never had Thai food before. Sadly, this post isn't about Spice but its competitor, M-Thai, just down the street from Spice's 22nd & 8th Ave., location. In fact, Spice is so popular here in the gayborhood that there are 2 locations within blocks from each other. Not to mention, there are at least 2-3 more Thai restaurants along 7th & 8th Ave: Room ServicePad ThaiRegional Thai Taste, and Silom. It's a bit overkill and ridiculous! I'd like to see more countries and flavors represented, but I suppose the gays love their Thai food.

According to the take-out menu: "The Pad Thai is to die for!" Well I don't know about that or why anyone would kill him/herself over pad thai, but it is good. At least once or twice a month, we order delivery from M-Thai. I still order from Spice occasionally, but the main reason why we order from M-Thai so much is the mock duck. Spice has mock duck too, but charges a lot more for it $12 as opposed to $9 at M-Thai, which you can order as a meat or non-meat choice (chicken, beef, tofu, mock duck) in any noodle, rice or curry dish. Another reason why we order from M-Thai is the food is just plain good. You know... I don't think I've ever sat down and dined at M-Thai. I've always ordered. Interesting!


Our staples from M-Thai: classic spring rolls, steamed chicken dumplings, vegetarian tofu soup, noodle with mock duck, pineapple fried rice and chicken massaman curry. No need to describe; I'll let the pictures do all the talking. Oh, and the super lunch special is $6.98 from 11:30AM-3:30PM Monday-Friday except holidays, and with your entree you receive soup or salad. Pretty cheap, right?




M-Thai: 232 8th Ave., between 21 & 22 St.
Chelsea, NYC
Website
M-Thai

No comments:

Post a Comment